We got a call today that a court date has been set for Ashley's adoption finalization hearing. Monday the 11th is the day! Ironically today (Jan. 6th) is the very day 2 years ago that Ashley came to live with us. Wow, that was a really interesting day for me. I knew that they were going to be bringing her after church and I was very excited, but also very stressed out. Did I have what we needed? Was she staying for a day, a week, a year or forever? Would it be ok for Brinkley? Would she be able to bond with us? I don't know, I was full of all kinds of emotions. That morning I also got called by the new bishopric to be a ward missionary in charge of all the welcomes for new families. This was to big for me and I didn't want to accept. Especially with the uncertainty my life held on that particular day. I tried to tell them the situation and they asked me to accept anyway. I sat in Sacrament meeting that day and cried the whole time. Something in me knew that my little family of 3 was about to change forever in a big way. Later in Relief Society when I was still crying sister Burton asked if I was ok and if there was anything she could do. I was so embarrassed, but will remember her love forever. I think it was all the unknown and extreme stress I was feeling.
That afternoon, the Gines came with Ahley and her things to our house. Tom had never even met her yet... The kids played toys while the adults worked things out. I can't imagine how hard it must have been for them, knowing that they would be leaving her with us. It was so obvious that they loved her so much and were trying to do the best things for her and her life. Finally with trust, faith and a bond that can never be broken they left her in our care. We hurried to get ready and went for our Sunday night ritual of visiting family. Within 10 minutes Ashley was calling me mom.... It's still so interesting to me that she was looking for that core family unit. We tell our kids all the time how we were looking for them and praying for them, and I think they were doing the same for us.
Anyway, We went to Tom's family first where grandma and grandpa were able to meet her for the first time. Then we went to my families were we joined Aspen's birthday party. Everyone loved Ashley and she had fun with the kids and bonded right away with me and the grand parents. I think it was that night pulling in the drive way she asked if this was Ashley's house? I told her yes, but I'm sure she could feel the uncertainty in my voice. Now after 2 years I'm going to be able to promise her with all of my heart that this is her house and her family and her life. It's going to be amazing :)
Wednesday, January 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yeah!!! Congratulations! We are so happy for you and your oh-so-sweet family. We'll be thinking about you on the 11th! We need to do dinner soon...we miss you guys!
Post a Comment